Simple I Ching divination with coins
The three coin method came into currency over a thousand years later. The quickest, easiest, and most popular method by far,
it has largely supplanted the yarrow stalks, and produces outcomes with different likelihoods.
While there is one method for tossing three coins (once for each line in the hexagram), there are several ways of checking the results.
How the coins are tossed
- use three coins with distinct "head" and "tail" sides
- for each of the six lines of the hexagram, beginning with the first (bottom) line and ending with the sixth (top) line
- toss all three coins
- write down the resulting line
- once six lines have been determined, the hexagram is formed
How the line is determined from the coin toss
- if you have 2 or 3 "heads" - draw yang (solid line)
- if you have 2 or 3 "tails" - draw yin (broken line)
Free interactive emulator is presented in the «Simple (modern) I Ching with coins».
You can use the
table shown on the site
for offline divinations.